About Boumi Temple
Boumi was founded on April 28, 1884. There was a total of 7 charter members. At the first meeting, after the officers were elected and appointed, the name of the temple was selected.
The name decided on was Boumi, which is Arabic for Owl, and the owl became the symbol of Boumi Temple. On June 7, a Saturday, Nobles from LuLu Shrine in Philadelphia came to Baltimore in full regalia to do a ceremonial and grand opening. Boumi Temple grew and started to flourish. In December of 1885 Boumi Temple held a meeting in Washington DC to discuss the foundation of Almas Temple. On September 30, 1889 Boumi held its first meeting under the dome of its new Temple on South Hanover Street near Lombard Street on the fourth floor and it continued to grow. The mission of Boumi Temple when it was founded was to have a place in Baltimore where Masons could go to play.
In 1921 the idea for the Shriners Hospitals for Children was conceived. The first unit was opened on September 16, 1922 at Shreveport LA. It was to be supported by a $2.00 per Shriner hospital levy. Since that time the Shriners Hospitals for Children has grown into a system of 22 hospitals. They treat children with orthopedic and burn problems and have a continuing research program, all at no cost to the patients. It is important as a part of the entire Shrine organization in helping to maintain the hospital system and in transporting the patients to and from the hospitals. It is only with the dedication of our Nobles in raising money for the hospitals and their tireless effort in transporting them up and down the highway that the entire system works. The future of Boumi Temple rests in its members and their efforts to keep the organization alive.
The Temple continues to do different things to stay as one of the leaders in the area. They will change and adapt new ways, but will do them with a constant goal in mind, to have fun.